Saturday, May 08, 2004

A DAY IN NORTH WALSHAM

Spent the whole day out on the stump in North Walsham, firstly talking to shoppers at Sainsbury's and then in the market place. In the afternoon we went canvassing on the outskirts of the town. Had an amazingly good reception and signed up a few new party members. I'm amazed at the number of people who recognise me or tell me I have written to them. I was pictured today in the EDP with Margaret Thatcher alongside an amusing article, which several people mentioned. The main topic of conversation on the doorstep was the European election campaign. I have yet to meet a single voter who believes we should either sign up to the European constitution or join the euro. Sensible people in North Norfolk. Met a LibDem councillor and had a very friendly chat. I always take the view that just because someone is a political opponent that doesn't mean they should be looked upon as an enemy. In the end we all want the same thing, we just differ on the best way to go about achieving it. And on that positive note, it's thank you and goodnight!

No comments: